Indiana Motorcycle Endorsements

It is important that those who are interested in obtaining this specific endorsement become familiar with the following:

  • The different types of motorcycle endorsements
  • The application process to get a motorcycle license
  • The motorcycle safety education courses

The Types of Indiana Motorcycle Endorsements

Indiana issues two different motorcycle driving licenses to qualified individuals: Class A and Class B endorsements. A Class A endorsement is issued to drivers who operate a motor cycle vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the driver, rides on no more than three wheels, meets standard motor vehicle equipment criteria and is registered with the DMV as Class A.

A Class B endorsement is issued to drivers who operate a motorcycle vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the driver, rides on no more than three wheels and meets standard motor vehicle equipment criteria. However, the difference is that a Class B motorcycle must have a cylinder capacity that does not go over 50 cubic centimeters.

Note: If you are less than the age of 18, you are required to wear a motorcycle helmet. By law, you are also prohibited from holding a package in your hand, regardless of whether you are the rider or the passenger of the motorcycle.

How to Get a Motorcycle License

If you have a standard driving license and would like to switch it to a motorcycle endorsement, there are a few steps you will need to follow. The state of Indiana only issues motorcycle licenses to those driving license holders who are at least 16 years of age. In order to begin the process of adding this specific endorsement to your license, you will need to pass a series of exams, including the following:

  • A vision screening
  • A written knowledge test
  • A motorcycle road skills test

The motorcycle skills test will be provided by a certified examiner at a local BMV branch. However, in some cases, you may be exempt from this requirement, as long as you complete a motorcycle safety education program. If you choose to take a safety educational course, your certificate will be good for a period of a year. You must present proof that you took this class at a Bureau of Motor Vehicles location.

At the time of submitting your motorcycle driving license application, make sure to also turn in your current Indiana driving license and have payment ready for any necessary fees.

Motorcycle Safety Education Courses

The BMV accepts proof of a completed motorcycle safety education program from a number of approved providers, however, the department recommends taking this course through the Indiana Motorcyclist Safety Program (IMCSP). In order to have your road skills test waived, you must present proof from one of these providers:

  • The Indiana Motorcyclist Safety Program
  • ABATE of Indiana
  • Harley Davidson is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.