Driver License Change of Address

The IN BMV requires residents to have accurate information listed on their drivers licenses and vehicle-related documents at all times. The steps to change address may differ, depending on whether you need to update your mailing address or your residential address.  Below, you’ll find information on how to:

  • Update your drivers license mailing address online or in person
  • Update your driving license residential address in person

How to Update Your Mailing Address Online or in Person

The IN BMV uses a driver’s mailing address to send out official correspondence, such as a drivers license renewal notice. For your convenience, if you only need to modify your mailing address, you may do so on the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles website. You will first need to create your own personal BMV account, if you have not done so already. To proceed with your online address changing request, the website will prompt you to enter your IN driving license number. You must also have both your old mailing address and new mailing address on hand.

If you prefer to directly speak to an official agent in person to get a DMV address change form, then simply visit a branch in your area. Make sure to bring your current Indiana drivers license with you and any pertinent documentation that confirms your new mailing address.

How to Update Your Residential Address in Person

Life transitions happen, however, it is important that you notify the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles when these changes occur with your address of residence. The BMV only allows residents to modify their legal, physical location at a nearby office. You will need to present certain documents in person, therefore in the interest of time, collect two of these items before making your way to the DMV for an address change request:

A utility bill(electric, water, cable, Internet, etc.): It can be a paperless bill, printed from your computer. However, it must have been issued within the past 60 days.

A W-2 form, or another type of official correspondence from the Social Security Administration: Your statement must be from the current year or the previous year.

A mortgage agreement or lease: This must state your full address, along with your signature.

A statement from your bank that includes your name and address: It must have been issued within the past 60 days.

Your Indiana voter registration card: This will have your current address and voting zone.

A child support check stub:  It must be provided by the Indiana Department of Child Services and have both your name and address listed on it.

A statement or correspondence from the United States Postal Service: This must confirm both your old address and your new address.

For a full list of acceptable documents, visit the Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.

Note: The BMV does not accept P.O. boxes as residential addresses. is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.