Salvage or Abandoned Cars

Moreover, a car can also be declared abandoned if it has been removed by a towing service upon an officer’s request and was not claimed or redeemed by the owner within 15 days of its removal.

On the other hand, motor vehicles damaged by collision or other occurrence to the extent that the cost of repairs exceeds 75 percent of its fair market value are defined as salvage vehicles. If the word salvage or total loss is stamped on the vehicle’s title, it means that the original registration has been canceled and the vehicle is deemed illegal to be driven on any roads in the state.

Depending on your particular circumstance, you may be required to look in to one of the following:

  • Get a title for an abandoned vehicle
  • Get a title for a salvage vehicle
  • Get a rebuilt title

How to Title an Abandoned Car in Indiana

Each Indiana resident has the right to claim ownership over an abandoned vehicle as long as its original owners do not come forward and make the claim themselves. To do so, you have to contact the IN BMV and apply for a Certificate of Authority, where you will need to provide your address and state how the vehicle came into your possession.

If your application is approved, you will be granted the right to sell, give away, or dispose of the vehicle for scrap metal.

How to Get a Salvage Vehicle Tile in Indiana

In the state of Indiana, you may file a salvage title application with the BMV Central Office Title Processing if you are a representative of the insurance company that has paid a “total loss” on the vehicle, or if you are the owner of a vehicle that was damaged to the point where costs of repair would amount to 75 percent of its market value.

Note: A salvage title is required for motor vehicles no older than seven model years, but it can also be issued for vehicles that are even older, if requested.

To apply for a salvage title, you will need to gather and submit the following documents and forms, which are available at myBMV:

  • Your current car title
  • Auto title application charge of $4
  • Title application (form 44049)
  • Affidavit for a salvage title (form 49891)
  • Gross retail or tax exemption form (form 44841), if tax is owed in the vehicle transfer

Once you’ve gathered all of the above-mentioned documents, mail the packet to:

Central Office Title Processing

100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411

Indianapolis, IN 46204

How to Get Salvage Rebuilt Title in Indiana

In order to rebuild a car that has been designated as a salvage vehicle, it is a requirement that you apply for a salvage restoration title from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles’ Central Office of Title Processing. To do so, you will have to provide:

  • A current salvage title document.
  • Proof of vehicle ownership.
  • Proof of residency in Indiana.
  •  A Title Application (form 44049).
  • An Affidavit for Salvage Motor Vehicle Restoration (form 44606)
  • General affidavit (form 37964), if the vehicle was repaired with parts on hand.
  • Payment of the $15 fee.

To make matters easy for all of their residents, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles offers a salvage restoration packet with all of the necessary forms. This packet can be given to an examiner in person or via mail to the following address:

Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue
Room N41
Indianapolis, IN 46204 is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.